Monday, November 21, 2011

Living the Dream

Remember that sorority I joined in September? Story time! I mentioned in my post "Block 2" that the third student in the class was a quiet girl who referred to herself as an outsider. I pledged to try to change that and was more successful than I could have ever imagined. It turns out that her mom is a Beta Sigma Phi and her dream was to start a chapter on campus. She didn't know how to go about it, though, and was sort of afraid to try by herself, so I promised to help her. Fast forward to November 16, 2011 when I threw a little party for nine young ladies I am about to officially call my sisters.
Don't we all look so happy to be sisters? We spent the rest of the week calling each other "sister" almost exclusively. I wasn't the only one joining because I had dreamed of the traditional collegiate sorority, so I made bid cards for everyone. I even found black, yellow, and white plaid ribbon.
Our party was a luau theme because I was footing the bill for decorations and my apartment already had a light up palm tree sitting in the corner courtesy of my roommate. The chapter in a box packet suggested that we play games to get to know each other, which was exactly what I wanted to do, but their suggestions weren't very college student friendly. One was a version of "Never Have I Ever," which I know from experience can get out of hand quickly and the other was a game of pass-the-sand to build teamwork, which was not about to happen in my living room. The only other game I could think of was "Onion," and that always makes people cry. Finally I came up with "Apples to Apples." That's a pretty safe game that still lets people get a little crazy and has little to no room for tears. See the laughter? I think that is a sign of success.
I thought it was a success, despite my many worries during preparation. Angel helped me with the punch and Nick even made an emergency trip to buy another roll of ribbon for me. I really have the best fiance ever. Overall, it was almost exactly what I would have wanted my bid day to be and I can't wait for our next adventure.

No comments: