Sunday, July 3, 2011

Craft of the Week: Purple Scarf

I started this as a time waster while I was with Mom at one of her doctor’s appointments. I grabbed the first pair of needles and yarn I could find, which turned out to be a bad combination. I intended to make her a scarf with this yarn to match her hat, and I might still. This one might just get donated.

It did reaffirm my love of Kitchener stitch, though. It was my second experiment with Kitchener, and just a quick refresher as to how to start it was all I needed. Hooray for YouTube! Here is a close up of the Kitchener:


Sorry the pictures are so dark, they were taken in my fiance's windowless bedroom. I knit it on size 10 1/2 needles, and it just didn't suit the baby yarn at all. I should have used a smaller size needle to make the rows tighter, but I've been using this pattern for years to make blankets and I've never done it on anything smaller than an 11. By the time I realized that wasn't going to work for a scarf, I had already invested too much time. Either Mom will love it because she's my mom, or I will find an organization that will take it and knit her one that actually matches the hat.

Next I am going to start a prayer shawl for one of my mom's friends. She is the mother of the girl I just finished a shawl for, and she was recently pre-diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder called Sarcoidosis. Her shawl is going to be mostly brown with a turquoise cable running through the center. It will be my first solo attempt at cabling, so wish me luck!





No comments: