Friday, June 24, 2011

Things I Learned at VBS

That's right, Vacation Bible School. My family has attended our church since I was six months old, so I still attend when I am home on break. I even babysit for the Pastor's family, who know my beliefs and have no problem with them. So each year his wife calls me a few weeks before VBS and asks me for the same favor: to fill in xyz spot that they can't convince anyone else to cover. She always counts on me saying yes, and I always do. This year the theme was "Shake it up Cafe," and xyz spot happened to be the Lemon class, comprised of six rising kindergarteners. Upon reflection, I wonder if I didn't learn more than they did.

Lesson 1: Good teachers play tag.
After coming in from recreation, one of my little boys told me that he was glad I was his teacher because I played tag with him. I'm sure he was just giving me a sweet compliment, but maybe he appreciated it on a deeper level because I took the time to get involved in what he wanted to do instead of just leading him from class to class all evening. It's a good lesson for everyone: don't just go through the motions, get involved in what you are doing.

Lesson 2: Jesus Christ coming to your party is not as cool as Justin Bieber coming.
This one was purely silly, but it made me laugh. The storyteller was trying to get the children to realize how special it was that Jesus came to the Festival of Booths, so she compared it to Justin Bieber unexpectedly showing up at your birthday party. One of the little girls got excited and said that she is a big fan of Justin Bieber and also Taylor Swift. Trying to get them back on track, the storyteller said that Jesus showing up was bigger than both of them combined. The little girl gave her a look of five-year-old disbelief and as respectfully as she possibly could muttered a simple "nuh-uh."

Lesson 3: Giants live at the top of barley, grapes, and wheat.
By the third night, the storyteller had given up on trying to get the children to listen attentively to the stories, which were admittedly long and fairly dry. This time, she came prepared with a game that tied into the story. As the children pretended to grow the ingredients needed for the festival, they held up their arms, showing how high their plants had grown. The teacher, trying to encourage them, pointed to one girl and said "your plant is going to touch the clouds." The little girl sitting next to her looks up at her arms and yells "oh no, a giant!" Every child broke out in a chorus of "Giant! Giant!" Remarkably, the teacher was able to use this to her advantage, and story time became a little more popular. Lesson: when children speak, listen. It just might connect to what you're trying to convey.

Lesson 4: Little boys can lock bathroom stalls, but unlocking them might be a different story.
Though the kid walked into the bathroom stall, locked it, and managed all of his buttons quite nicely, reversing that process is another story entirely. And though the little boy waiting behind him is scared to use the urinal and can't wait any longer, he will not understand why his female teacher crawled under the abandoned stall to unlock it from the inside. Lesson: little boys aren't always mature, but God isn't done with them yet.

Lesson 5: It is possible to karate a shark to death.
In short, adults need to have more imagination and excitement. If kids can get attacked by 100 giant sharks only shortly after bailing out their pirate ship and survive with a few well-placed karate chops, surely I can find a way to make unpacking from this move a little more exciting.

It was a great week, but with an adventure like these each night, I am glad it is over. Now if I can just survive this yard sale, I will be fiance bound come Monday! I need a vacation from my vacation, lol.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute post! As the mom of two little boys and a frequent VBS teacher, I can totally relate.